El Rey Theater

The first film to play at the El Rey was “The Smiling Lieutenant”, starring Maurice Chevalier. The theater opened in 1931 and closed in 1977.  Designed by Timothy Pfleuger, who is best known for his work on the Paramount in Oakland, the El Rey still stands to this day as a church. 

All photos courtesy of The Western Neighborhoods Project (www.outsidelands.org).